Issued at 10.30am, Tuesday 10 February 2015
Detectives have charged two men in connection with the alleged sexual assault of a teenager in Woolgoolga last week.
Investigators attached to Coffs/Clarence Local Area Command commenced Strike Force Mediata after two 16-year-old girls and a 15-year-old girl reported being allegedly sexually assaulted by three men at a Woolgoolga address on Thursday 5 February 2015.
Following investigations, a 22-year-old man, who allegedly befriended the girls on social media, was arrested about 10.30am yesterday (Monday 9 February 2015) and was taken to Coffs Harbour Police Station.
He was subsequently charged with indecent assault and attempted sexual assault without consent.
The man was bail refused to appear before Coffs Harbour Local Court today (Tuesday 10 February 2015).
Investigators have since been able to identify the other two men involved, who have left the country.
Police have also charged a 24-year-old man with being an accessory after the fact.
He was granted conditional bail to appear before Coffs Harbour Local Court on Monday 23 February 2015.
Coffs/Clarence Crime Manager, Detective Inspector Darren Jameson said the alleged assaults were violent in nature.
“Our inquiries have identified contact being made with girls via Facebook and we do believe there was some alcohol involved prior to the committing of these offences,” Detective Inspector Jameson said.
“Any young people who feel they are being inappropriately spoken to on social media should contact police.
“We know for a fact that a number of sexual predators use social media platforms and apps to target and groom children,” Detective Inspector Jameson said.
“If you or someone you know has been approached by someone who is acting inappropriately online, please report the matter to police.